Wednesday, June 24, 2015

PS4 and Usability

Being the avid gamer I am, I like to look around for gaming news. However, due to recent studies, I've been thinking a lot about usability and user-interface. I found this really great article at Forbes.com. Basically the PS4 had touch sensitive buttons on the console for powering it on/off ejecting the disk, etc. I currently don't have a PS4, but am saving up to get one - Mass Effect: Andromeda is coming next year! But his article goes into the author's gratitude about the new generation of PS4s are going to have mechanical buttons.


I can only imagine how infuriating it must be to be someone with a disability that cannot see where these touch sensitive buttons are. I mean, my television has touch sensitive controls, and I find it hard to sleepily get up from the couch, unable to find the remote, and stumble my way to the television, rubbing my hand across the bottom of the tv adjusting contrast, volume, power saving settings, to FINALLY find the power sensor. I can't imagine what it must be like to have life be like that all day every day.

This is why I'm extremely proud of Sony for listening to the issues users are having, and developing a user-friendly interface for turning on the console and ejecting disks.

No comments:

Post a Comment